North Carolina, a state in the southeastern U.S. is surrounded by South Carolina, Georgia, Tennessee, Virginia, and the Atlantic ocean. Though Raleigh is its capital, Charlotte is the largest city. The renowned North Carolina State University is located in Raleigh. This state enjoys a 3,375 mi shoreline.
- The first English child born in America was Virginia Dare. She was born in North Carolina in 1587. Her parents were English colonist and they were sent by Sir Walter Raleigh to settle Roanoke Island in 1585-87.
- Major attractions in the state are Cape Hatteras and Cape Lookout National Seashore, the Wright Brother's National Memorial at Kitty Hawk, Great Smoky Mountains, the Blue Ridge recreation area, National Military Parks, etc. Beaches in North Carolina attract millions of tourists every year.
- It was the 12th of the original 13 states to approve the constitution.
- It has over a hundred counties. As a boy named Conrad Reed discovered gold in the quiet rural area of Cabarrus County, this county witnessed America's first gold rush.
- It is a beautiful state with a number of forests, lakes, beaches, waterfalls, etc.
- The nick name of this state is 'Tar Heel State'.
- Mt. Mitchell, 6,684 ft (2,039 m) is the highest point in this state.
- Dogwood is the state flower.
- Cardinal is the state bird of North Carolina.
- Its state tree is pine.
- North Carolina is represented by 'NC'.
- Motto of the state is Esse Quam Videri (To Be Rather than to Seem)
- Tobacco is one of the main crops in this state.
- North Carolina is known for the agricultural products and also for the furniture and lumber industries. Charlotte is one of the major banking centers in the U.S.
- Perhaps the most exciting fact about North Carolina is that the Wright brothers completed their first successful flight of a mechanically propelled airplane and landed over the sands of Kitty Hawk on the morning of December 17, 1903.
- The first public university in the United States is The University of North Carolina.
- The first miniature golf course was developed in Fayetteville, NC.
- The first state art museum in the country was opened in the capital city, Raleigh.
- The first Pepsi was produced and tried in New Bern, NC in 1898.
- You might be surprised to know that the tallest lighthouse in the U.S. is 'The Cape Hatteras Lighthouse'.
- The tallest dam in the eastern U.S. is Fontana Dam. It is 480 ft. high.
- If you want to know about the highest swinging bridge in the U.S., then you need to collect information on the one mile high swinging bridge located in the Grandfather Mountain.
- 'The Lost Colony' was the first outdoor drama in America. It is presented every year in Manteo, North Carolina.
- There exist more than 200 waterfalls in this state. Whitewater Falls located in the Transylvania County is the highest waterfall on the East Coast.
- A line of barrier islands or 'the outer banks' protects the state from the sea. You can see this line on the map of the US.
- The climate is mild and warm. It enjoys abundant rainfall. The mountains, forests (the state has four national forests), and beaches make this state a tourist's paradise. Its tourism is quite big and you may take a look at the vacation spots in this state.
- Apex, Asheville, Salisbury, Boone are some of the best places to live in North Carolina. Old folks prefer to retire and stay in this state.